Safety, Community, Sustainability
we’re in this together
The past few months have been especially trying for our country and startup community. We want to do everything we can to get back to work but we need your help. We will take proactive steps to maintain a safe and healthy work environment but we need the active participation of all AU community members to keep our community safe.
Our reopening plan is based on recommendations by the CDC and Federal/State authorities for how to control the spread of the coronavirus. Over the coming months, we will monitor these authorities and update our guidelines and policies as recommendations evolve.
We are also proud supporters of Durham’s Back on the Bull campaign! The AU team is trained and certified to provide a safe and healthy work environment.
take the pledge
Maintaining a safe and healthy work environment is a cooperative effort. We ask all members to take our community pledge before returning to any AU space:
- I will not come to the AU if I don’t feel well
- I will wash my hands frequently and thoroughly
- I will wear a face covering in common areas
- I will encourage safe social distancing
updates and improvements
We’re taking the following steps to increase safety and reduce transmission risk throughout our spaces.
- Rearranged coworking and common areas to encourage social distance
- Reduced density of meeting spaces, classrooms and elevators
- Providing free or discounted expansion space for office tenants to maintain social distance
- Added anti-microbial covering to elevator buttons
- Added hands-free foot pulls to interior doors
- Added hand sanitizing stations in all shared spaces
health and safety
- Thorough and frequent cleaning of all AU spaces
- Providing a free temporal thermometer for member use
- Placed disinfectant supplies throughout common spaces for member use
- Promoting regular handwashing through signage and supplies
- Providing free face masks for use in common spaces and hallways
- Providing resources to support safe and effective use of masks (CDC guide, WHO video)
- Prohibiting guests and events through August 31
- Continuing to host all events virtually
better than ever
We’ve also used this period to overhaul and improve other aspects of the AU member experience, including:
- We’re launching a new, all-in-one member portal for communication, room booking, and events
- We’ve rolled out a brand new coffee bar setup and marketplace with more fresh and healthy options
- We’ve re-built our virtual membership with expanded benefits and new ways to connect with the AU community
We also re-launched the AU Landing Spot to serve prospective entrepreneurs who were laid off due to the pandemic. Participants earn free AU membership plus enrollment in our new Startups 101 curriculum, to help them navigate the challenges of starting a new business.